Thursday, August 20, 2009

Bio-Glycerin for Plants

I have been doing some reading and came across a few pages that talk about using Bio-Glycerin for fertilizer, aphids, and spider mites, and weed killer. Before I attempt this I think I need to go to OSU and see what the Nitrogen, potassium, and PH level of the glycerin is. Then again I could keep researching and find some answers for myself and those that read this blog. Lets see where my search of the WWW leads me.

I have found there are to types of bio-glycerin. The first is NaOH which makes a great bar of soap because it stays in more of a solid form. NaOH bio-diesel is made from Sodium Hydroxide (lye) It has a jelloish texture. Since it is caustic from the lye it is recommended for weed killer. Remove any remaining methonol before using. While it is heated up to liquid dilute it with water. From making soap I have found that 1 gallon of glycerin to 1 1/2 gallons of water makes a nice soap, but I think you might need to add more for it to come out of a sprayer.

Then there is KOH bio-glycerin which stays in the liquid form. KOH bio-diesel is made from Pottasium Hydroxide. I understand is good for fertilizer if diluted down because it is less harmful to the plants. You also need to remove any methonol that might still be remaining in the KOH glycerin. From everything I have read the fertilizer works best if you add the bio-glycerin into a compost pile.

As for the aphids and spider mites I can only find companys that sell pesticides made from bio-glycerin. I am going to take a guess that it works the same way Dawn detergent does.

If I find out anymoe I will keep you posted.

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic blog! I actually love how it's simple on my eyes as well as the data is well written. I am wondering how I may be notified whenever a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your rss feed which really should do the trick! Have a nice day!

    diesel injector

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you diesel injector for your comment. I have alas not posted anything in a while, but your interest has sparked some blogging in me. I am thinking of starting a Facebook Page, since it was suggested to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really a great post on bioglycerine for plants.......

    ReplyDelete